Erected in 1856 by a Board of Supervisors from Midland County and was named for Timothy (Tiff) Jerome of Saginaw who built the first Sawmill in Edenville and the first Midland County Courthouse in Midland.
Jerome Township is located in Sanford about 8 miles northwest of the City of Midland on North Saginaw Rd (old US-10), at the point where the Salt River flows into the Tittabawassee.
The Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad reached Sanford in 1870 and is now known as the Rail Trail which stretches 30 miles of blacktop connecting Downtown Midland (Tridge) with the City of Clare, MI. The trail attracts daily use by many from walking to bicycling (non-motorized). Restrooms and convenient parking are available with various access points for the Rail Trail.
While Jerome Township was once known as a logging community – our community is also known for its parks and hunting. While being surrounded by many other conveniences from many of family owned businesses within Sanford to nearby communities which provide but are not limited to: Midland Mall, MidMichigan Health University of Michigan Health Systems, Colleges and Universities, dynamic School Districts and large Industrial companies like: Dow Chemical, Dow Corning and Hemlock Semi Conductor to mention a few.
Demographics: The 2000 Census captured that Jerome Township’s population was 4,888; 1920 households; and 1443 families.